Sunday, July 26, 2026

A bit about me

Although I was born in Saskatoon, Winnipeg has been home for most of my life.  My own K–12 education was in what is now the Pembina Trails School Division, graduating from Fort Richmond Collegiate, and my kids went on to graduate from Collège Jeanne-Sauvé in LRSD. We've lived in River Park South for over 30 years.

It was during my kids' time at École St. Germain where I met some kindred spirits on the Parent Advisory Council. Whether they like it or not, 'the ÉSG PAC' at that time sparked my interest in running for the school board—along with a few folks who regularly pointed to 'the board' as being behind certain procedures and processes I was trying to understand. 

I graduated from UManitoba and have worked on campus for over 35 years.  In May of 2019, up until it ceased to publish this month,  I had a regular column in the Community Review East as a community correspondent for River Park South.  I am also a member of the Dakota Community Centre Board of Directors.  I've been a member of the Manitoba School Boards Executive since 2015, currently in the role of past President.  

 Over my time on the Louis Riel School Division Board, I've had the privilege of serving as Board Chair for 4 separate terms, chairing all board committees at various points (including the Riel-Evate Endowment Fund Committee), and serving on the Manitoba School Boards Association (MSBA) Executive since 2015, where I currently hold the role of Past President.  I represent MSBA as a board member of the Canadian School Boards Association. 

Exercise takes the form of walking and biking.  Last movie watched was The Odyssey (it was excellent!), and Netflix is a very good friend.  I read to learn and be entertained; currently  it's  Wînipêk, the fully updatedWealthy Barber, and My Friends (Fredrik Backman). I've never met a bag of chips I didn't like (plain Lay's always hits the spot), red over white, pizza and pasta, a hot caramel sundae any time of year, I'll never say no to an invite to head to The Forks, and I have too many plants.  

"We keep moving forward, opening up new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious—and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."


No comments:

Post a Comment

A bit about me

Although I was born in Saskatoon, Winnipeg has been home for most of my life.  My own K–12 education was in what is now the Pembina Trails S...