Sunday, October 2, 2022

Why are you running for re-election to the board?


What a beautiful day for getting some information out to residents of Ward 3.  The campaign 'team' has expanded with Mom and Sis pitching in; win-win as I get the help and they get some fresh air and exercise.

Folks are asking why I'm running again (or as one person framed it "why on earth would you want that job these days?").

First, I want to do what I can to protect the investments that our board has made over the last number of years and will continue to make in the name of student engagement and success.  Expenditures in support of full-day kindergarten, our DEI and Anti- Racism Initiative, the work of our Indigenous Education Team, and in mental health and wellness for students, staff and families (among many others) are having a positive impact.  We know this because the data we collect allows us to track our progress. 

Second is wanting to do my part to ensure LRSD  receives the funding that ensures these investments are supported long term, even as we identify more areas requiring support.  The new funding model must ensure adequate funding within a model that is sustainable and predictable.  Anything less has the potential to see needed programs and supports jeopardized.   

While navigating Bill 64 was stressful (to say the least) the engagement and information that was shared was key to its demise.  I want to continue the work of providing information; to our community and to government about the successes we celebrate, the challenges we are navigating, and how we all have a role to play.  Advocacy, engagement and communication is crucial.

That's not a complete list of reasons, but I'll wrap up on a purely personal level- I love the work.  It is important, rewarding, extremely fulfilling, and I have lots of fun.  I have met people who have challenged and broadening my thinking. I've been part of conversations that have offered necessary perspective.  I've learned things that I needed to learn. I don't take the role or responsibility lightly, and I take every opportunity afforded me to learn and grow to ensure I am the best trustee I can be in service to my community. 

23 days until election day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year!

In some ways it seems like school board elections were last week, when in reality almost 10 weeks have gone by.  The random and spur-of-the-...